One fine day, I WAS DYING TO EAT KFC CHICKEN and I had no idea how to sate these random intense hunger cravings. (Like sheesh, give me a break tummy!)
But seriously, at that moment I thought I definitely needed to learn how to cook KFC style chicken pieces myself because one thing I was sure about: if I got my hands on that perfect recipe, I could stop worrying my a** over being broke and not being able to quieten the growling hunger.
And so my hunt for the recipe began.
It wasn’t much of a hunt to be honest, and after a bit of research, I finally got the hang of it. Just a few special ingredients and you’ve cooked for yourself, exactly the same chicken, ABSOLUTELY FREE!
And now let me tell you why I cooked these vinegar and onion chips.
Because I LOVE CHIPS! Who doesn’t, for God’s sake! I love making flavored chips and I wanted to try it the moment I bought “a certain ingredient.” *winks*
Okay, enough of the background stories. Let’s get back to food business, shall we?
Ingredients for KFC Chicken:
- 8 chicken wings (cleaned & washed)
- 50 gm all purpose flour
- 50 gm bread crumbs
- 1 egg (beaten)
- 2 tbsp curd
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- 1 green chili (cut these into the tiniest pieces possible)
- 1 tsp white pepper
- 1 tsp dried basil leaves
- 1 tsp oregano (powdered)
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp ginger powder
- 1 tsp salt (or to taste)
- Wash the chicken and let the water drain from it.
- In a medium sized bowl, mix curd, egg, 1/2 tsp chili powder and salt.
- Marinate the chicken wings in this mixture for 4 to 5 hours.
- In a another large bowl, add the flour, green chili, pepper, basil leaves, oregano, onion powder, ginger powder, garlic powder and the rest of the chili powder.
- Cover the chicken wings well with this spicy mix and then with the bread crumbs.
- In a large frying pan, add enough oil to grease the base. I prefer not to deep fry it and rather just fry it. If you want to deep fry the chicken, adjust the amount of oil.
- Fry the chicken until it is crispy and golden brown.
- EAT IT !!!
Let’s cook the chips now. How can you even THINK of enjoying this delicious chicken without chips? Just hide the chicken somewhere for a while; the fragrance is sure to attract a lot of people. Huhu.
Ingredients for Vinegar/Onion flavored Chips:
- Potatoes (Duh!)
- Onion powder (this is the ingredient I was winking about, remember? No? Fish memory!)
- Slice the potatoes into the thinnest round shape possible. It is pretty easy to do if you use a chopping board and a sharp knife (just like your tongue, heh!) You can keep the skin if you want.
- In a large frying pan, heat oil. Like I said before, I prefer using the least amount of oil and it does no harm to the dish being cooked, trust me.
- Fry the potatoes till they are golden brown.
- Add the salt, vinegar and onion powder seasoning to the chips right after you take them out on a paper to dry. That way, the flavor will be absorbed.
- What are you waiting for? EEEAAAAATTTT!!!
This is probably the best weather to try out these dishes. Dryness makes it more crunchy. Also, I have learned from my experience that garlic, onion and ginger powder are some ingredients you should always have in your kitchen. You can add them to ANYTHING for an excellent flavor.
Please do let me know when you try out these recipes. I love knowing if you enjoyed them or you wanted to push me down a cliff for wasting your time. Haha.